Re: God Learners & Orlanth

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999 12:12:07 -0800

Joerg wrote

> Whatever the God Learners learned of Orlanth and Humakt most likely came
> from the Slontans (even conveniently present on the southern tip of
> Jrustela) and the Stygians first. What they made of it can be seen in
> Umathela.

While I agree that much of the God Learner knowledge would have come from coastal areas like Slontos (which was probably a major source for Umathelan barbarians), I don't think we can see much of what they did in modern Umathela. I think many elements of the Umathelan religion today (which according to Sandy Petersen has 9 Lightbringers) are a reaction to the God Learners towards the end of the Imperial Age. They probably had some sort of Harmast figure who re-assembled the myths in their proper fashion, getting rid of God Learner perversions. The fact that he had (in my opinion) allies from just about every culture on the northern coast didn't necessarily help him restore the original worship (though it did drop out false gods etc.).

Nochet is another source of God Learner knowledge. Although it's likely that some of the bit about "god learners" stealing Drolgard's secret is probably confused (the actual God Learners weren't active that early, and Greg has speculated that the knowledge thiefs were probably from Slontos), note that there was a Malkioni bishop in Nochet by 575.

And there's contact with the Fronelan Orlanthi, though I've always assumed those guys are a different branch with many differences.

Anyway, it's doubtful that the God Learners got lots of knowledge from mainstream Heortlings, at least in the early days, and by later days, many if not most of the Heortlings were part of the EWF and thus being weird. (In fact, many of them probably became EWF because if they didn't, they stood a good chance of becoming part of the Middle Sea Empire.)

Carl Fink wrote

> the rules of RQ: AIG are copyrighted by (the ghost of)
> Avalon Hill, so distributing copies of them is illegal

This doesn't change the legality, but I think a better metaphor would be the Thanatari head of Avalon Hill, seeing as how they are sort of tied to Hasbro's belt.