Old Pavis

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 19:00:43 +0000

I said
>> The Pure Horse tribe became less friendly to the Pavisites, and more >> "Praxian",

Keith
> I agree that the "Pure" Pure Horse people may have become less friendly to
> the Pavisites (although I see no evidence of it), linguistically they remain
> Pentan, not Praxian, as shown by the fact that 'Pure Horse Tongue' spoken by
> the Grazers hundreds of years later is still a Pentan language.

By getting "more Praxian" I didn't mean the language they spoke, but their behaviour. I'm not so sure they refrained from raiding into the EWF or Pavis.

> Personally
> speaking, I think Pavis himself led an esoteric draconic movement, part of
> the reason he left the EWF proper and built his own city. (a kind of draconic
> Pilgrim Father)

I tend to regard Pavis as a student of strange and powerful magics abundant in the EWF, but not necessarily tied to draconic methods. Neither the Remakers nor Hachrat Blowhard's Alma Mater show much in the way of draconic traits. Pavis didn't use any draconic allies to manifest his power, either, but a blend of his aldryami heritage and dwarf-related magics likely learned from Isidilian.

>> I'd expect the Issaries-worshipping Zebra riders to be linguistically >> more adapting than the EWF-Orlanthi of Pavis:

> But why are these EWF-Orlanthi in Pavis?

Most of the interior of Pavis was built by humans, not by dwarfs. Pavis needed lots of specialized craftspeople to keep his city alive, pretty much like Sartar did when he set up Wilmskirk and later towns. I don't see nomads adapting to settled life and specialized craft this quickly, and there is no other sensible source of skilled work nearby except the EWF. I suppose that Pavis also drew on the refugees from Adari and probably other places in that region which seem to have been satellite settlements to the EWF (else how did Pavis gain his parentage?).

> My main problem seems to be that I
> think the bulk of the population in the early days was Pure Horse or Zebra.
> Theyalans only came, en masse, with the Sun Dome Templars.

I don't see evidence (or need) for any Pure Horse people except those reformed into the Zebra Tribe as permanent residents of Pavis. There is evidence for lots of sedentary people in Pavis, though, and that means either Zola Fel fisherfolk or EWF-Orlanthi (or exiles, Pavis is far enough from the core of the Empire to serve as dump for dissidents).

Zebra language:
> << No. As traders and mediators, they used the language of the people they
> lived with. Whatever terms their host language lacked they would
> provide, but given that Heortlings have a long tradition of
> horsemanship, I don't see much need for this. >>

> Still, my point being that the people they lived with were, on the whole,
> Pure Horse speakers.

Unlikely IMO, as expounded above. They would have had at least as much contact to Praxians as to Pure Horse horse speakers (without anybody suggesting they started speaking Praxian), but even more daily contact with both Pavisite and EWF-side Theyalans.

> I would expect more Ralians (shipped overseas by the
> Godlearners in 825),

Why Ralians?

> Jrustelans, Kralori, and Seshnegi (all tempted by Cradle
> Loot to this port which would have offered a troll free route to Dragon Pass
> and Peloria)

All these are exotics in the region rather than the norm. Add Dara Happans during the reign of the Sun Dragon.

> than Heortlings.

Heortlings are the closest source for civilized settlers able to do their farming, gardening, and providing the crafts necessary to keep a city alive. I have great difficulty to imagine a nomad turn mason.

A new city always provides new opportunities, and will attract craftspeople and farmers from some distance, but rarely from overseas. This leaves little choice but Heortlings.