Re: Nandan; Humakt; Lunars

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 18:13:04 -0800

Peter Metcalfe answered

> Greg does develop his own off-the-cuff comments into full-blow
> creations sometimes. Nandan is one of them.

I believe Nandan the Birthing Man is actually a creation of Robin Laws (though fully Greg-sanctioned). He was in Robin's draft for the Sartar book, as I recall. His mythology began in the Darkness, when his clan had no women and thus no way to have babies. Where most Orlanthi men would have done the heroquest of Orlanth rescuing Ernalda, Nandan chose a different route... No guarantee any of this will ever get into print.

Simon Hibbs

> I completely fail to see why Humakti might lose their
> fertility.

Presumably the fact that Death and Fertility are considered opposing runes has a lot to do with it... I don't think this means that Humakti are incapable of or uninterested in sex, but their sex is no longer (or at least less likely) a life-creating act.

Gazza wondered

> in RQ Con Compendium,
> in the LARP writeup, it seems that 5L is enough to hire an entire
> company of mercenaries. So something's stuffed here.

A LARP Lunar is not the same as the normal coin. I forget the conversion ratio, but the idea was that you could get away with a small number of coins that had a lot of purchasing power.

I'm sure the value of a Lunar bounces around depending on how Greg is feeling about economics that week, but it's still the smallest silver coin, and probably much closer to the RQ3 penny than anything else.

As I recall, prices were cleaned up a bit in RQ3. Around here, we tend to gravitate towards using Pendragon prices, using the cow as standard, without a whole lot of actual coins in use.