Re: Children

From: Donald R. Oddy <donald_at_grove.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 20:13:27 GMT

>From: "Dom Twist" <thazar_at_globalnet.co.uk>

>And of course a Man can 'Love' and leave whereas a woman often cannot.....or
>are we postulating a world where there is widespread magical/herbal
>contraceptive/abortificant usage? (I cant see that in Orlanthi lands
>meself.....children are the tribes future...Orlanth/Ernalda/Tribal Elders
>would come down on that like a ton of bricks....for much the same reasons as
>the Jewish faith did in our world.)

With all the strong minded women in Glorantha I can't see how they would accept restrictions placed on contraception/abortion. Certainly there would be a cultural pressure to have a reasonable number of children but there would also be an acceptance that a planned family has a better chance of surviving than one which produces children as fast as possible. The dogmatic attitude of the Jewish and Christian faiths seem to me to fit poorly with the Orlanthi religion and is probably unworkable in any area where people have a choice of faiths. Perhaps this is something Uleria provides - the knowledge and/or a spell to control fertility.