Humakt

From: Tim <Tim_at_edonaris.screaming.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 01:29:46 -0000

A couple of little points ;-

In Digest 183, Alan E and Carmel J Brain <aebrain_at_dynamite.com.au>  say :-

> Humakt is a complex
> and challenging god, and his worshipers run the gamut.

In an old issue of Wyrms footnotes (about issue 6?) there is a chart that shows the deities in relation to their "Good - Evil" / "Law - Chaos" ratings. Humakt is pretty near the centre, just about on the side of Law.. and pretty much even between Good & Evil. My take on this is that Humakt accepts ANY and ALL worshippers who meet his basic criteria, and follow his ethos :
I Kill, and I will be Killed. The rest of it is entirely cultural modifications.

Also in Digest 183, Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_lhr-sys.dhl.com> says :-

Also, Humakt is not THE god of death; of all the primal deities, only Uleria still 'exists'. Likewise, Humakti are not so single minded.

Actually, in one sense this is not true : Humakt is THE God of DEATH. He IS the originator of the use of this Rune as DEATH, as opposed to combat/endings etc. When Death came into the World, and Trickster slew Grandfather Mortal, the Universe changed, and Humakt (in one sense) embodies that change. The Rune we all call death existed previously, but was known as Combat, etc - it was held by Kargan Tor. (Incidentally, if you HeroQuest to the Gods Time and the Spike, and find Kargan Tor's throne, you will now find Humakt sitting there.)

That is why, in GoG, Humakt has Death Truth Death as his runes.

Oh, and whilst we are discussing Humakt - a question for Nick Brooke or any other Carmanian enthusiasts out there :

Humakt's Einherjar is typically depicted Orlanthi/Viking style as a sort of Valhalla style battle hall, bearded warriors drinking and feasting on roast boar, pig, cow etc very raucous and jovial.

Does the Carmanian "image" of the Einherjar differ greatly? What is it? Does it perhaps have any imagery along the lines of Islamic Paradise, a Garden of Delights populated by Houris etc? Or....... Something entirely different! ?

Tim Minas

PS Have got "King of Dragon Pass" (must be one of a very few copies in the UK!) and am suffering sleep deprivation as a result! Good game, tho occasionally annoying! But then, most games can be.... It mostly fits well together - I recommend it ;-))