RE: Babeester Gor write up

From: Loren Miller <loren_at_ioxy.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 22:20:35 -0600

Andrew E. Larsen <aelarsen_at_facstaff.wisc.edu>
> The cult is universally respected among Earth cultists, but it
> holds little political power anywhere except within areas where
> Ernalda has
> no husband-protector. In most regions, the cult is joked about and also
> feared by men, who have little understanding of why Ernalda needs a
> daughter to protect her when she already has a husband to do that.

Players may joke about her. I don't think any Gloranthans joke about Babeester Gor any more than they joke about the Crimson Bat. Babeester Gor is a murderous, bloody bitch on wheels. On her necklace she wears the severed male members of those whom she has killed, she is tattooed all over, and she carries a giant axe. Steer clear! Us men have been warned.

> The cult of Babeester Gor demands that women have their rightful
> voice in society, though the nature of that rightful voice varies from
> region to region, depending on the normal relationship between men and
> women. Cultists champion and defend women who have been wronged in any
> way, and they are notoriously savage to rapists, wife-beaters, and those
> who take advantage of innocent or naive girls. In patriarchal
> regions, such
> as Sun County, they also punish women who violate cultural laws, but they
> normally do so with more mercy than the male authorities would.

My impression was that Babeester Gor trained monomaniacally on the assumption that "some day they will go too far, and then I will make those sons of bitches sorry they ever even came in shouting distance of an earth shrine." This writeup makes them into a mostly peaceful, female militia, when I see them as GI Jane carrying an invulnerable shield and a great big axe that glows with penis-severing magics.

> Lay Membership
> All women are considered to lay members of Babeester Gor
> from their
> birth.

IMG, Babeester Gor is not a universal cult. She only thrives in societies where vast numbers of women have been abused and mistreated, including the horror-show that is the Kingdom of War.