Babeester Gor

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 19:51:46 +1300

Andrew Larsen

>Babeester was raised by Voria and taught the gentle arts of the
>household.

Babeester is not the sort of goddess that was trained in the arts of the household and Voria does not teach those arts - she is innocent spring. What's wrong with the savage imagery of her leaping up fully armed from her mother's corpse and smiting everybody in sight?

The impression of Babeester etc maintaining a normal lifestyle when Ernalda is dead rings false to me.

>The cult of Babeester Gor maintains few temples anywhere, although
>it does have one at Earthshaker, where her worship is second only to that
>of Maran Gor.

There is one at Axehall in the Holy Country.

>This includes temples to Aldraya, which worship
>Babeester Gor as the Death Which Comes in Dark Season.

Elves worship her as Bebeester the Taker and her mythology is different.

>Temples to Babeester Gor are dominated by the High Priestess, who
>rules as she sees fit so long as she respects the rights of the women who
>serve under her.

Rights would be a foreign concept. Babeester Gor is interested in punishing trangressions against the earth rather than any abstract notion of rights for women. Her enemies are those who have (even inadvertedly) broken some dread taboo rather than those who fail to respect women properly.

> The cult's holy days are Freeze Day of Death Week of each season,
>with the holy day in Earth Season being the high holy day, marking the day
>that Babeester Gor learned the power of death from her aunt.

I think it would simply mark the day she was cut herself out of her mother's womb.

>Lay Membership

>All women are considered to lay members of Babeester Gor from their
>birth.

Far too wide. Even among the Orlanthi women, only a few would bother with Babeester Gor and the strictures they have to obey are too sweeping. Look at the Cults of Prax requirements for other cults. Worshippers of Orlanth and the Red Moon are not required to refrain from hurting each other, yet this is something you require for all women.

>Men may only
>initiate if they know all cult skills at %0% and undergo castration and a
>severe beating. hese requirements ensure that virtually no men join the
>cult.

Given that men do become eunuchs in Esrolia this doesn't seem very offputting (and I fail to understand why there should be a severe beating). Yet there are no male worshippers in Esrolia and it seems the best explanation is that Babeester admits none.

>Initiates of Babeester Gor are considered initiates of Ernalda and
>Maran Gor as well, and they may choose to resume the powers of fertility by
>dedicating themselves to Ernalda as Reflowering Ones.

This seems rather extravagant given that initiates of both Maran Gor and Ernalda are not automatically initiates of Babeester Gor. What about Voria, Asrelia or Ty Kora Tek?