God Learners and Fonrit

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 1999 00:39:55 +1300

Keith Nellist:

>"The godlearner doctrine that nobody is free altered the very meaning of
>slavery (in Fonrit), and moderated the local slave traditions into a less
>malignant attitude."

>It seems to me that this can be taken either way; either for or against
>actual slavery.

They didn't control most of Fonrit (according to the Seshnegi King List) so it seems to me the doctrine was a popular one. However I don't know very much about what Fonrit was like before the God Learners so I can't say much more.

I don't think that the God Learners actually taught that no one is free but merely the concept of a supreme being. The Fonritans were impressed with this and identified this being with their own Ompalam, thus giving him a dominant position in Fonritan religion today, whereas before he had really been only been a god of slaves.

>What the precise difference between an oppressed serf and a slave is
>seems to be a matter of opinion.

Not all malkioni serfs are oppressed but in Fonrit, one can find opulent slaves wielding political power for their masters which is unthinkable for a serf in Malkioni society.

>Where is TTrotsky when you need him.

Should we pick his brains?