Re: Vingkot and Vinga; KoDP

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 10:49:54 -0800

Bryan Maloney wrote

> > Is there any mileage in the similarity between the names Vinga
> and Vingot, or
> > is this purely coincidental?
>
> As any good Vingan will tell you (at least 'roundabout Pavis way) the
> similarity is because Vingkot is obviously Vinga's mortal son.

I suspect that since Vinga is a goddess of the Vingkotlings, it's the other way around. After all, Vingkot is well known to be Orlanth's son, and no Vingan is going to accuse their goddess of incest (whether they believe she is Orlanth's daughter or sister).

Tim wrote

> Vinga is called a Grand daughter of Orlanth in KoDP

Yeah, I couldn't remember if that was something that we learned from Greg, or a typo. So I left it in.

and on King of Dragon Pass itself:

> Hmmm. pushing on with this now.. past 1400...! My tribal King was forced to
> resign, without me being able to see why, really.. (Low Leadership score??)

You could have had a shaky tribe to begin with, or did something to annoy the other clans.

> I am an Orlanthi War clan, and yet have NO Odaylans, Elmali, Uraldans...

No devotees of those gods, at least. (You wouldn't expect lots of Uraldans in a war clan...)

> And I have 51 nobles.... hmm!

The families of the named leaders.

> Also, every time I send explorers out, the Humakti kill them.. tried gifting
> them, with 100 goods and more, even did the issaries the Conciliator Quest
> for them.. and they STILL kill my explorers...

You need to download the 1.0 update, which should fix that bug. (You'll get one more Humakti ambush, but it should be the last.) <http://a-sharp.com/kodp/update/>

Philip Hibbs had more KoDP questions:

> Has anyone worked out a way of acquiring new candidates for the clan ring?
> My LM chap keeps recommending we find a trickster.

Tricksters are born, not made...

> I don't recommend sending expeditions west of Kero Fin, they never seem to
> come back.

That's not a given. Exploring can be risky (even if you haven't annoyed the Humakti), but exploring can help make it safer (by scouting out bandit nests). And (to return to our original subject), there's a Vinga blessing for explorers...

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #195