Bab Gor and Snake Pipe

From: Robert Stancliff <stancliff_at_ccgnv.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 1999 15:09:33 -0500

    I will mention my opinions since no one else has expressed my view (to my knowledge)...

> The only place I can find a reference to that is in WF 9, and it
>seems kind of outside her cult's normal 'feel'. She's got the Dark Earth
>rune, which basically focuses on death instead of life and she occupies the
>Maiden position in the Babeester Gor, Maran Gor, Ty Kora Tek trio, which
>suggests that she's outside of fertility.

    It is true that she is turned against the Fertility of her mother due to the nature of her purpose, and that is why she has the 'Dark' Earth rune, but unlike the other Gor cults, she has a personal life. Bab Gor is the avenger of the Earth and slays those who have performed crimes against the Earth. She is brutal and violent, but does not have the undirected rage of Storm Bull or Zorak Zoran.

> One reason I like that reading is that it allowed me to run the
>Impotent Bull mini-scenario from Tales 18 as a Babeester Gor initiation
>quest in which the character sacrificed her fertility to restore the
>Bull's.

    This is still a valid quest under my interpretation, but does not have to occur until later in her life, and not all followers are forced to perform such a quest.

>>>Snakepipe Hollow seems to suggest that she was turned into a
>>>statue, but I haven't found anything to clarify this point.
>>That's an idol of Babeester Gor, not the Goddess herself.
> That's what I initially thought, but the text implies that the
>statues were people turned to stone somehow, and makes a point that her
>statue is defiantly facing the other way from the others. I can't say I
>particularly like this idea.

    I thought carefully on this when I ran SPH, and I came to the decision that all of the statues were divine or semi-divine beings who were still in the world at the birth of time. When the Compromise was made and the gods entered the godtime, the ones who were still in the world had to chose whether to become mortal or leave their bodies and enter the godtime also.

    All of the statues were living defenders or priestesses of the temple, fighting the chaos invasion, including Bab Gor. When she chose to leave her body, it was probably just after she had sealed access to the inner temple by raising the rippled wall. Another entrance had been caved in already, and the only remaining entrances were through the Worm tunnel or the secret entrance.

    The Worm had bypassed Bab Gor's defense, so Baroshi was forced to fight to save his home and drive the Worm away. The temple was basically frozen by time, and the ultimate goal of SnakePipe Hollow is to give Baroshi another chance to enter the world and be mortal. Bob Stancliff