Re: Yuthu

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 09:18:58 -0000

David writes:

> OK, so I missed the reference in the Genertela book, and have failed my
> Library use roll and I am humbled in front of my peers. But the point is
that
> the name Yuthu does not appear in the Dara Happan WIP AFAIK, and there was
> some debate over exactly why, and that confusion has now been cleared up.

I would assume the reason is that Greg also missed or ignored the references, and/or failed his Library Use roll, when working on the Dara Happan works-in-progress, and has since come up with a cover story that satisfies him. As with KoS's gregging of "Sun County", one can question the value of this process.

As we all know, some of the earlier (and dodgier) Dara Happan mythic concepts (Hastatus, Sagittus, Hippoi, Alkor, Raiba, Yuthu...) flew almost completely out of the window when the DH WIPs were produced, but did so without any attempt to ground the later books in what "we know" 17th-century Gloranthans say about the DH gods. This is IMO a flaw. (A simple concordance reconciling the old and new versions would have been Useful -- just as Dave Cake's Pelandan Prosopaedia is Useful, and the product of a critical Library Use roll to boot).

I get mildly pissed off when I read four different versions of a Gloranthan neolithic myth but gain no information re: whether anyone, anywhere, believes any of this any more. Do modern Pelorians tell the "Vi-Saru-Daran" and "Spear-Man" stories about Lodril, or Turos, or who? Have any Dara Happans, other than the educated priestly patriarchs, ever heard of Anaxial, or Murharzarm, or Antirius? Without any cult details or info about contemporary worship of these historical and archaeomythical deities, it's hard to bring them into play. Which is, after all, the point -- isn't it?

:::: Email: <mailto:Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com> Nick