My Dad's Alynx Can Beat Up Your Dad's Alynx

From: Gary R Switzer <gswitzer_at_loop.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 15:40:59 -0800 (PST)

Alex sez with some justification:

>Alynx SIZ inflation seems to have wandered into the 'hyper-' zone.
>I now fully expect to see posts to the effect of, That's not a sakkar,
>that's just a shadowcat that needs a touch of dental work.

It's not just in Glorantha. Check out what Guy Halsall says in Part 5 of his The Age of Arthur series of articles in Wargames Illustrated 146 under the heading "Those Damned Saxon War Dogs."

"In Cornwell's 'Warlord' trilogy the Saxons make use of large mastiffs to try to break up the enemy shield-wall. We now see such war-dogs appearing in 'early Saxon' ranges of wargames figures. Come on! This is a work of fiction!"

On the other hand, maybe what we're seeing is typical Orlanthi bombast at work. "You Farpointers think *you* have Alynxes? Why my uncle Hrolf's could wear horse barding."

Gary R Switzer
Aero Hobbies