Re: KODP Elmal Quest

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 17:36:49 GMT

Phil H:
> What do I do about the Emperor in "Elmal Guards the Stead"? I've tried
> everything, I can only presume that it depends either on conditions outside
> of the quest, or on a combination of earlier responses. Is leaving Elmal
> alone to heal himself all the time a bad idea? I've tried a selection of
> healing strategies, but even if he gets past his old girlfriend, he gets
> striped by the emperor.

The corresponding myth gives you the 'correct' response here. I had one heckuva time trying to do this on a beta-test version, partly as I hadn't worked out how to work the twiddly little 'read full version of myth' buttons. As David D. pointed out to me at the time, though, it's about the 'hardest' of the HeroQuests, so you're likely to need to a) Do The Right Thing; b) have a very good questor (in combat and magic, mainly, I'm guessing?); and c) get moderately lucky (it's randomised to a not insignificant degree).

Cheers,
Alex.