Kang Luway and Kang of Dwagon Pass

From: Simon Bray <simonbray_at_cwcom.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 21:31:13 -0000

Hi All,

 Someone was asking about Kang Luway. Is he the Monkey King of Prax? Well the answer depends on who you are an what you believe. Kang Luway certainly arrived in Teshnos from the west, and Prax lies to the west. His arse was certainly on fire at the time and he even claimed to have been attacked by a fire god. Now the Monkey King came from Prax and his city was destroyed/purged by Oakfed, so there are similarities. However most Praxians have never heard of Kang Luway, and would not recognise him as the Monkey King and vice versa. Kang Luway doesn't look like the Praxian Monkey King, well not in his latest statues anyhow. He is portrayed as a large Orang-utan ape, wearing a small circlet crown and riding a cloud. His temples or Wots are crumbling open roofed buildings, situated deep in the jungle and usually tended by a small group of monks and a lot of monkeys.

 When I get a chance I will finish some more Kang Luway stories. BTW he is not always such a loyal servant as he was in the last story. Some suggested stories include:-

  1. The one where Kang Luway kidnaps a fire spirit and tries to learn some magic, only to have the spirit stolen from him by the Night Cat and Blue Bear.
  2. The one where Kang Luway tries to become human....'I wanna walk like you, talk like you ooh ooh ooh!'
  3. The great epic heroquest of Kang Luway where he has to guide a 'Sacred Child' across the world to Dara Happa. An mighty journey during which the pair travel to Dragon Pass and are joined by a sentient Golden Eye Horse that wants to be a Hippogriff and a cannibalistic water spirit, that is transformed into a newtling. They are late joined by a Tusk Brother, who has a huge appetite and finally arrive at the Footstool and see the true face of the Sun. (Removes tongue firmly from cheek).

 I also got the final version of King of Dragon Pass. Except the Customs office decided to charge me six quid import duty and VAT on the game...so beware.

Cheers Simon.