Boggles

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 1999 14:25:52 +1300

Bob Stancliff:

Me>> Why would Uleria want to negate the Disorder of the Boggles? Their
>> nature is good for the existance of the Cosmos.

>The myth in KoS says that the other goddesses tried to marry the Boggles
>first, but they couldn't withstand the natural Disorder power.

The myth is in Wyrms Footprints and you still haven't answered the question. The myth does not imply that the Boggles had their disorderly powers negated by Uleria. In fact, it goes so far as to state:

	The Boggle race was of Disorder, and Disorder was the
	first seperation of the world from the void.  This
	gave them great power against chaos, which they had
	already fought and defeated when they were first made.
	Urged on by Uleria's pain the Boggles hastened to
	staunch the tide of evil which followed the destruction
	of the Spike.
			Wyrms Footprints p38.

If Uleria had negated the disorder of the Boggles, then they would be useless against chaos.

>Only Uleria's powers of Love could resist the Boggle's Disorder.

I don't see any resistance from Uleria in the myth. She _embraced_ them instead.

>IMO this power had to be based on Harmony, so Uleria's powers of
>Love should stem from the Harmony rune, not Fertility.

You do notice that Harana Ilor does not appear in the myth? The reason she doesn't is that Disorder is intrinsically opposed to Harmony and thus trying to impose harmony on the Boggles would have done nothing. Larnste also doesn't appear because he's opposed to Acos.

>So Chalana Arroy should specialize in Fertility, and Harmony
>should be secondary.

Then why does she have no fertility magic?

>Also, take a careful look at which cults resist and teach against the use
>of violence; Earth cults like Ernalda, and most importantly, Challana
>Arroy, who requires vows against all use of force.

Ernalda does not abjure violence and has asked Orlanth to beat up Daga. Harana Ilor, the original Harmony goddess, was used by Umath to destroy the Demonic Howling Void.

>These views and vows are a living opposition to the power of
>Death and must logically stem from a tie to Fertility.

Chalana's vows could easily stem from an opposition to disorder and violence rather than death. Disorder destroys the harmony of the body and so must be opposed.

>As a side note, if Uleria really possessed Fertility/Infinity, then her
>followers would be -very- fertile and no contraception could be allowed,
>so Uleria bastards would be overrunning most cities.

Umm, it's specifically stated in the prosopaedia that Uleria was the Goddess of Life but is now the Goddess of Love, in other words, she has been changed.