Re: Department of Silly Names

From: Alan E and Carmel J Brain <aebrain_at_dynamite.com.au>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 09:38:48 +1000

> From: Martin Crim <MCrim_at_erols.com>

> To reiterate:
> 1. Fake
> 2. Mundane
> 3. Silly
> 4. Out of place
> 5. Plagiarized

> what I'm attacking is the silliness of giving joke names to places in the
> world that don't make sense within that world.

> Greg's naming a blob on the map "Nochet" is like Thomas Pynchon's character
> in "Mason-Dixon" named Dr. Cherrycoke; but without being witty.

> Now, given that, do we:
> a) rename places within a consistent and serious linguistic framework, a la
> David Dunham's Carmanian work,
> b) give up Glorantha as a bad cause, or
> c) live with it.
>
> C is less work, but I vote for a).

My vote's strongly for c)

One of the things I like about Glorantha is the differentiation of not just a world, but a whole universe, from the more mundane "Fantasy". Many Fantasy settings are merely Todays' world but where "any sufficiently advanced form of Magic is indistinguishable from Technology."

Now just as the players/actors in this setting are getting all serious about theats of Broo invasions, Troll politics, Walktapi threatening the hred etc. they require a bit of a jolt to remind them that the rules are different, even the laws of physics being malleable to a degree. The Sacred Time at the end of the year where the lucky few actually meet their God, and the rest at least replay some of the legends helps. But what _really_ helps is to find a place called Corflu on the Map. A hostelry called Geo's. Or to get mugged by a Duck.

Hence some of the names in the part of Glorantha I'm interested in:

Trollbridge(now temporarily renamed Duckbridge) Two Towers Twice
Podliforku (plagiarised from TFT)
Inside Out
The Old Place
The New Place
Moonset (or as the Lunars call it, Moonrise) Sunova Beach
Llianbarigold (as in A&E),
Wise Jetty (as in J.T.Sapienza).