Names are stupid things

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 12:22:33 +1300

James Chapin:

>[...] two whole
>continents named after an Italian mapmaker who never set foot on either
>one.

Amerigo Vespucci did discover Brasil (at the time Colombus maintained that he had still reached Asia) and a German Mapmaker thought he was the first discoverer of a new continent since Classical Times and so named the continent after him (and we are indeed fortunate that we did not end up with the United States of Vespucci). The Mapmaker then recognized the magnitude of his error and spent the rest of his life trying to correct it.

Nick Brooke:

Me>> Christian's Bay is now seriously defunct. It's surely no
>> coincidence that Greg placed "Corflu" there to blank out
>> the mistake.

>Er, except that Corflu's first appearance was on the same map as
>Christian's Bay.

I don't think so. It certainly wasn't in the Nomad Gods Rulebook where I first saw Christian's Bay. It may have been on the map, but I still think Corflu was named after Christian's Bay was. After all the Block supposedly was created after a dice went awry in the playtest of Nomad Gods and ended up on the Devil's Marsh on the mapboard (presumably crushing several chaotic counters there).

Richard Meints:

>Perhaps Corflu is the Jrusteli word for "river
>mouth" or a derivative of confluence.

Alas:

	It was named after a wife of Tolkazzi; who is unknown to
	history except through her husband's compliment that, "she
	corrects all my mistakes, treading upon my life and erasing
	the errors of my record from my weary mind".
				P & BR