Re: Waertagi waterbreathers

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 1999 21:20:56 +0000

Peter:
>Unlike Joerg, I do not believe that the mermen concerned are
>Ludoch for they (and even the Malasp) are also air breathers.
>Instead the Waertagi must have miscenegated with the
>Gnydron and this subspecies actually resembles the creature
>from the Black Lagoon.

I didn't want to discuss this here, but since it is on:

Even offspring of gnydron or niiads with other merman species is bound to be air-breathing. It's not like the other species haven't tried to breed back, it doesn't work.

This makes the breeding of gilled Waertagi with merbeings even more extraordinary. Of course they lack the proper lower body parts (i.e. fish or whale tails).

I said Ludoch because Ludoch still are the most likely merfolk type to mingle with Waertagi. Physically closest, too.

Personally, I thought of them as classical Captain Nemo style underwater workers without breathmask backpacks. Green yes, scaly no.