re: silly names (last post on this topic)

From: Martin Crim <MCrim_at_erols.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 20:26:08 -0500

Jim Chapin:
>">So keep the names! By now they have deep historical and legendary
>roots.

Me:
>Like what?"

Jim again:
>Like the fact that people have been using many of them for more than two
>decades?

We've been using RQ for 2 decades too, but that doesn't make it historical or legendary. Look at what's already changed in Glorantha (aside from scales of maps):

Sultanates -> Satrapies
Anything dealing with Sir Ethilrist -> gone All the changes in the Trollpak map from I to II And on and on...

Was there a hue and cry when High Llama (another embarrassing pun) was retconned (whatever that means) to Alticamelus? If so, I must have missed it. No, Glorantha is not and never will be Tekumel or Middle Earth, and I'm glad for it (tho' that's a thread for a different day). Does that mean it'll be stuck with all the baggage of the disco decade forever?

Let's get rid of the embarrassing names already. For one thing, it'll help us recruit new players. I, for one, don't want to have to explain to new gamers that the Sartarite word for "town" is "town," since it's not "Swen's Town" but "Swenstown." The suggestion that "Swen" is a corruption of "Swan" suggests that the Sartarite word for "Swan" is "Swan." Have I, like the bourgeois gentilhomme who didn't know he'd been speaking prose, been speaking Sartarite all this time?

I could continue to heap invective and ridicule on the embarrassing and ridiculous relics of the wargaming past, relics which haunt the present like platform shoes and naugahyde jackets in the bottom of the trunk, but my point is made and the arguments against it, if I may say so, smack of inertia and a counterproductive nostalgia.