Re: Mything in Action

From: Alan E and Carmel J Brain <aebrain_at_dynamite.com.au>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 14:31:19 +1000

> From: Kevin Rose <vladt_at_interaccess.com>

> Since there is no myth of Chalana Arroy healing
> someone's mind, how does he go about doing the quest, when he's got no
> story to serve as a template? If he somehow succeeds, does this create a
> myth about CA that follows the course of his HQ? <
>
> Well, there are a couple of answers. Some groups seem to basically take
> the position that there is (Nearly) always a myth out there you can steal.
> The GM just makes it up.

> In this situation I would probably go with that approach, as it seems
> sensable. The problem is the GM gets to make it up. Have fun.

Example - something that happened on Saturday at our regular gaming session:

While hot on the trail of the culprits who had been systematically vandalising Chalana Arroy sites, and leaving misleading clues pointing to both Fanatical Deezola advocates, and Trolls, our party eventually runs them to earth.
It was a Cacodemon Coven. For various reasons, the Bad Guys panicked, and called up the big C hisself.
Party flees in (demoralised) panic, except for a Humakti initiate with a neat-looking (but not particularly powerful) sword, another Humakti initiate (who didn't flee, but couldn't attack), a Foundchild Initiate who had previously found a Dragonewt Dagger made of Obsidian (but with no particular special powers), and a Zelan cultist who hung back, tail between his legs.
3 Consecutive criticals later, the last a 01 with the Dragonewt's Dagger (the party's dice were so hot if I hadn't seen the rolls I wouldn't have believed it) we get:

<myth>
Humakt and the Devil (a simple story for younger tribal children)

Foundchild and Brother Dog were walking amidst the mountains. There they scrambled over a Dragon, and picked up one of his teeth that had fallen out. Proceeding on their way, they came upon Humakt. "See what I've discovered" Humakt said, pointing to a Chaos Place. Just then, Wakbroth appeared in the Chaos Place. "Come, let me look at your new toy" he burbled.
Humakt was in two minds as to what to do. Half of him wanted to just walk away without involvement (as it wasn't much of a challenge), half wanted to try out the power of Death on the Devil. Eventually, the Devil pursuaded him, and he expected the Devil to change and go to Hell. But the Devil, being Chaotic and knowing no law, refused. Again, Humakt used Death, but Wakbroth hung around, stinking up the place like bad meat and making a complete nuisance of himself. Foundchild, seeing what had happened, took out his Dragon Tooth. He then cut up the Devil into 23 pieces, and Wakbroth fled to the underworld. Humakt examined one of the pieces, and from it learnt how to sever the spirit from the body. Foundchild, meanwhile, had learnt how to make sure that anything slain by death would peacefully depart to its rightful place. Brother Dog ate one of the pieces, but vomited it up.

Which is why Foundchild teaches us the Peaceful Cut, and certain Humakti can sever spirits. And why some Wolves are Chaotic Shapechangers.

</myth>

Notes:
The Zelan Cultist stands in for "Brother Dog" The Humakti who couldn't attack meant Humakt was "in 2 minds"

And as a reward, the next Holy Day, the two players directly involved will find that they get a 1-use Sever Spirit, and increase to 100% in Peaceful Cut, respectively.

Myths affect Reality : but Reality affects Myths, not just on the Hero Plane. And don't worry too much if it contradicts all accepted histories of "what actually happened". It's just a local tribal story, after all.

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #220