Re: clan types & cattle raiding

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 13:37:39 GMT

David Dunham:
> A Peace Clan is going to have a harder time in the
> early days, but when it has the protection of a tribe, its fertility
> emphasis can shine. (Of course, by that time in the game, you tend to
> be doing better economically anyway, so it's probably the harder of
> the three choices.)

I went Right Off the idea of playing a Peace Clan when I ran into the 'losing by doing too well' scenario; in an early-ish beta version, it was more or less inevitable that your clan split when you reach 1200+ people, and when it did, your clan automagically split on unsustainable lines. (Too few adults, two many children, principally.) I think David said this had been since tinkered with, but I've been too paranoid to play a Peace Clan since...

Playing a War Clan also seemed to me to be harder than Balanced. This seems 'correct', in some ineffably, intuitive sense. If being an 'extremist' was easy, everyone would be doing it!

Cheers,
Alex.