Re: The Glorantha Digest V7 #221

From: aelarsen_at_facstaff.wisc.edu
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 23:23:43 -0600

>From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
>Subject: Uleria and Flamal
>

>>Hmmm. I suppose it seems reasonable that it would be a side-effect
>>of the LBQ, but nothing in the quest (or at least anything I've seen
>>written about the quest) suggests that they were trying to bring back
>>Yelm as well as Flamal.
>
>Surely "Flamal as well as Yelm"? But there is an earlier version
>of the myth (Dawn Age) in which Orlanth leads the lifebringers so
>there may be some hint in that.

        Yes, I switched the names by accident. The more I think about this, the more trouble I have with the LBQ resulting in Flamal's resurrection (rebirth?). Such an association relies on the idea that returning the sun to the world would bring plants back to life. That logic works fine according to RW science (sort of), but seems counter to the way that Gloranthan logic operates. Yelm's death didn't kill Flamal, and the only connection between their resurrections is that they happened at the same time, which is a long way from saying that they are causally related.

>>None of these deities have any more connection to
>>Flamal than Uleria does, with the remote exception of Chalana Arroy via
>>Arroin, which is pretty tenuous.
>
>Arroin is known as Eron, the healing waters, to the Elves and
>Aldrya is the daughter of Orlanth's wife and Flamal. The
>Elves reportedly acknowledge this relationship (cf KoDP
>Ernalda's quest) although they blast Ernalda for treachery.

        Okay, that's a second connection that I overlooked. But it's just as tenuous. Flamal is Orlanth's wife's exhusband/exlover, and given that Orlanth did a number on one of Ernalda's other exhusbands, there no real clear reason why he would have been concerned about Flamal.

>>An Uleria does have a connection to
>>Aldraya via her son Shanassee, whose function is pretty vaguely defined as
>>Aldraya's mate. He seems to be a vegetation spirit, since he teaches Food
>>Song, suggesting that he's the god of Plant Fertility. It seems reasonable
>>to me that he might be the son of Uleria and Flamal.
>
>Shanasses are love spirits rather than vegetation gods. They
>are depicted as trees because that is what aldryami find
>attractive I suppose. Uleria is so fertile she bore them by
>herself, or rather fashioned them from Chaos, depending on who
>you listen to. IMO Food Song is a manifestation of love,
>Uleria's power rather than vegetation magic.

        That seems like a rather tenuous connection. Why would Aldraya take a simple love spirit as her mate? If Food Song is a manifestation of love, that would suggest that Peaceful Cut, the parallel spell for animals, is a manifestation of love as well, but that doesn't seem to be the case. It seems to derive from Waha's association with beasts and death.

The way I see it, the myth goes something like this:

When Zorak Zoran slew Flamal, many mourned for him, because he was a delightful and much-loved god. Ernalda, who loved him deeply, went into mourning and the earth grew cold around her. Aldraya, mourning the death of her father, slumbered as well. But Uleria, who had loved him deeply as well, was determined to undo what Hate had wrought, and reunite what had been separated. Thus she set out to learn where Flamal had gone.

        She searched the world over, asking all who knew Flamal, where he had gone. But those who were awake did not know, and those who slumbered could not answer. Finally, however, she found the Holly, which does not sleep in winter, and asked it where Flamal had gone.

        "He has gone to the Underworld, where all the dead go," whispered the Holly. "If you would find him, there must you go." Uleria thanked the Holly and kissed it, turning its berries red, the color of love.

        Uleria dressed herself in her finest raiment and went to Humakt. "Good soldier, I wish to go to the Underworld, to reclaim my lost lover Flamal and be reunited with him," she told the Separator. "If you will take me there, I will reward you with all the gifts of love, and my crown will be yours."

        Humakt looked at the crown and threw it away. "What care I for such trifles as you offer. What is dead will stay dead. Away from me." Uleria left him, weeping, and thus it is still that soldiers are often the enemies of love.

        She searched for another who could take her to the Underworld, but none who knew the way would take her there, until at last she came to Issaries. "Good traveller, I have heard that you know the world better than any other. I wish to go to the Underworld. If you will guide me there, I will give you my rewards. You will have many children, gold will multiply in your hands, and all those who honor me will honor you." Issaries accepted her offer, and to this day, those who worship with Ulerians honor Issaries by paying for their services.

        Issaries led her across the world to the gates of Hell, but would take her no further. Thanking him, she left him and approached the gates, but the porter barred her way. "Those who enter here take nothing with them, and must die before they pass me." He siezed her jewels and raiment and tore them from her, and cast her naked on the ground. He drew his sword to slay her, but he was so dazzled by the beauty of her unclad body that he stood speechless and let her pass.

        For a long time, Uleria searched the Halls of Hell, looking everywhere but not finding Flamal. At least, however, she came to the Hall of Ty Kora Tek, and there she found Flamal, standing by the throne of Ty Kora Tek. Approaching the goddess on her throne, she fell to her knees. "Dread Queen, I have journeyed far to find my love, who stands beside you. Let him leave with me."

        Ty Kora Tek said "What enters my realm does not leave until I deem it worthy. Why should I allow him to depart my court, when his presence delights me so?"

        "Without Flamal, the world is barren and empty, and I can take no pleasure in it. All the fields and hills and forests mourn his loss, and the world is wrapped in a shroud of sadness and silence now that he is gone. Have mercy, Great Queen, and let him return." As she spoke, a tear rolled down her cheek.

        Ty Kora Tek looked down from her throne at the weeping goddess of love and was moved to pity. "Your words have moved me more than any I have heard. I will grant you that he may return with you. But he is beloved here as well as above, and thus in six months, he must return to my courts, and after six months here, he may return again to you. And you, sweet lady, having entered my courts, may not remain untouched. You too must return here from time to time."
And this is why all those who copulate experience a moment of death in the midst of their life.

        Uleria thanked Ty Kora Tek, and took her leave, leading Flamal by the hand. They passed through the Gates of Hell and thus was Flamal returned to the world, though every six months he must spend a season in Hell. Thus did Uleria prove that whatever Hate can destroy, Love can make good.

        The presence of Issaries in this story makes it clear that this is the Orlanthi version of the tale, while other cultures would use whatever the local psychopomp would be.

Andrew E. Larsen