LBQ & Flamal

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 08:33:47 -0000

Andrew writes:
> The more I think about this, the more trouble I have with the LBQ
> resulting in Flamal's resurrection (rebirth?).  Such an association
> relies on the idea that returning the sun to the world would bring
> plants back to life.

The LBQ did far more than "just" return the sun to the world. It opened the Gates of Dawn, through which *everything* that had died in Godtime was restored to (at least partial) life. Including Ernalda, Flamal, Aldrya, and zillions of other entities. (It also defeated the Devil, created Time, and formed the Cosmic Compromise, other major outcomes which on the face of it had little to do with "returning the sun to the world").

I am happy to speculate about the different inputs of different cultures, myths and traditions to these outcomes; the "Yelmic spin" or "Ernaldan spin" on this story. But it seems footling to say that every outcome of the Lightbringers Quest, Great Compromise, Ritual of the Net, Birth of Time, etc. was caused because the sun god had been brought back to life.

BTW, I heard a different version of your (excellent) myth from a Pelorian scholar: call it the "Northern Tradition".

: Uleria dressed herself in her finest raiment and went to Humakt.
: "Good soldier, I wish to go to the Underworld, to reclaim my lost
: lover Flamal and be reunited with him," she told the Separator.
: "If you will take me there, I will reward you with all the gifts
: of love, and my crown will be yours."
:
: Humakt looked at the goddess and his heart, so often still and cold,
: throbbed as though it would burst. "And if I take you there, whence
: you will never return, there will be no more love in the world. For
: what is dead will stay dead. And I would not be responsible for such
: an act. Away from me."
:
: Uleria left him, weeping, and thus we know that even the god of Death
: can feel the pangs of love, and loss, and remorse.

:::: Email: <mailto:Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com>
Nick