Re: Straw men; emic life

From: rmaddy_at_email.unc.edu
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 11:53:07 -0500

Maurice/Boris wrote:

<snip>

>And in case anyone missed my prior post about the four levels of
>Glorantha,
>I'll say it again:
>
>1. Rules reality
>2. Literary reality
>3. Glorantha as it appears to its inhabitants
>4. Glorantha as it really is.
>
> If you're content with the literary reality, where jokes, parody, and
> all manner of silliness abound, fine; I enjoy it too. But when I'm
> working at level 3, which is the goal of the better roleplaying
> groups, I want to know what Gloranthans call their cities. Old,
> stale jokes don't cut it at this level.

You had me going right up to that point. level 3 is the goal of the better roleplaying groups? Awfully elitest, don't you think? Normally, I wouldn't think it needed to be said, but from your comments, I guess it does. The goal of better roleplaying groups is to have fun. If your group's definition of fun is playing at level 3, then hey, great, enjoy it. But don't think your group is 'better' than folks playing at level 1, 2, or 4.

Geez.

Wondering if I just responded to a troll, Richard