FlamalQuest.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 18:02:31 GMT

> From dummy Wed Feb 29 12:12:12 1990

aelarsen:
> The more I think about
> this, the more trouble I have with the LBQ resulting in Flamal's
> resurrection (rebirth?). Such an association relies on the idea that
> returning the sun to the world would bring plants back to life. That logic
> works fine according to RW science (sort of), but seems counter to the way
> that Gloranthan logic operates. Yelm's death didn't kill Flamal, and the
> only connection between their resurrections is that they happened at the
> same time, which is a long way from saying that they are causally related.

They're not explicitly casually connected; rather, the questors accomplished both things, somewhat relatedly. Most/all of the Li(fe|ght)bringers had different agendas; that any of them be related to Yelm is a rather 'late' addition to the myth.

> The presence of Issaries in this story makes it clear that this is
> the Orlanthi version of the tale, while other cultures would use whatever
> the local psychopomp would be.

The manifest fact that this _is_ an Orlanthi myth makes it clear that yes, this is an Orlanthi myth. Other cultures have their own myths, not simply 'versions' of some archetypal one. Come to that, different 'cults' (see previous disclaimers) have their own mysteries as to what was _really_ going on...

Cheers,
Alex.