Uleria and Flamal

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 14:13:00 +1300

Andrew Larsen:

>The more I think about
>this, the more trouble I have with the LBQ resulting in Flamal's
>resurrection (rebirth?). Such an association relies on the idea that
>returning the sun to the world would bring plants back to life.

No, it doesn't. The Orlanthi myth in KoS explicitly states it as returning "the Grand Order" back to the world. That the Lightbringer Quest was to restore the Sun back to life and thus the rest of the world would be a God Learner interpretation and quite distinct from what anybody else believes.

According to Dawn Age Orlanthi, the return of the Grand Order strengthened Elmal so that he was able to shine more brightly than before. It was only when they contacted the Dara Happans that they were exposed to the notion that the Sun had gone to Hell.

>Flamal is Orlanth's wife's exhusband/exlover, and given that
>Orlanth did a number on one of Ernalda's other exhusbands, there no real
>clear reason why he would have been concerned about Flamal.

As a result of Flamal's death, Ernalda and other benign earth goddesses slept the death sleep, which sparked the Great Hunger and deprived Orlanth of Ernalda's presence. So Orlanth would be _very_ concerned about Flamal's death!

>>Shanasses are love spirits rather than vegetation gods.
>>[...] IMO Food Song is a manifestation of love,
>>Uleria's power rather than vegetation magic.

>That seems like a rather tenuous connection. Why would Aldraya
>take a simple love spirit as her mate?

Because her other lovers wanted to do her in if she declared for the other one. So she took refuge on the Spike and there met Shanasse.

>If Food Song is a manifestation of love, that would suggest
>that Peaceful Cut, the parallel spell for animals, is a
>manifestation of love as well, but that doesn't seem to be the
>case. It seems to derive from Waha's association with beasts
>and death.

If Food Song was completely analogous to Peaceful Cut, then Shanasse would be a death god, not a love spirit. Hence the two are not necessarily performed for the same reasons.