Four Levels

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 07:59:16 -0000

Martin misses the point again:

> The really odd thing is that, Nick aside, John Hughes' original
> post on the 4 levels didn't generate such hostility. Now appar-
> ently it does...

John Hughes' original post on the 4 levels introduced them as a useful way of analysing different levels of "Gloranthan-ness". Who could object to that?

IIRC, I may have contemporaneously objected to an asinine related proposal that the Glorantha Digest should therefore fragment into the

Glorantha-Rules-Digest, Glorantha-Fiction-Digest,
Glorantha-Immersive-Elitist-Holier-Than-Thou-Gamers'-Digest, and
Glorantha-You're-Not-Cleared-For-That-Underlying-Reality-Digest. I'm pretty
sure this proposal wasn't made by anyone sensible; it can't therefore have been by John Hughes.

Martin Crim's use of the 4 levels turns them into an elitist structure in which *only* people capable of turning themselves into Gloranthans during game sessions (unaware of the rules, unaware that they are fictional characters?) are "doing it right".

I think this is why you are taking the flak that John never deserved.

Incidentally, it's peculiar Martin recognises that:

> ad hominem attacks generally mean that you have no substantive
> argument to make,

and nevertheless resorts to them himself, with worrying frequency.

:::: Email: <mailto:Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com> Nick