One if by Land, Two if by Sea

From: Gary R Switzer <gswitzer_at_loop.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 17:10:55 -0800 (PST)

Reading Nick and Peter's swell notes (more please!) on the Trader Princes and New Coast prompted me to go look at the proposed Harrek/Naval timeline I worked up way back in February and come up with some ideas as to why the Opening would not entirely destroy the Trader Prince's business.

During the Closing (and after the sinking of Slontos), virtually all East-West trade would have been between the Safelster City States of Ralios and Esrolia, with any extra trickling in from Seshnela, The Holy Country or Dragon Pass feeding into the route at either end. With the Opening, the Trader Princes lose their monopoly and have to accept a smaller slice of the pie, but it's a much bigger pie. Certainly cargoes from Nolos, Pasos and the Castle Coast are now going to move by sea, but that's new trade, and is as likely to go north to Fronela as it is east to the Holy Country. Given the choice between an established and reasonably secure overland route (Galin-Noshain River headwaters-Bastis-Trader Princes-Nochet) and the much longer river-sea route (Kustria-Sodal Marsh-Tanier River-Segurane-Noloswal-Khorst-Mournsea-Mirrorsea) with the added dangers of shipwreck and pirates I think I'd prefer the former.

What _does_ change with the Opening is an alternate route for overland trade. From the headwaters of the Noshain you could skirt the New Fens and head for Handra, there to take ship for the Holy Country and avoid the Trader Prince's tolls while trading with the boom towns of the New Coast, but that's no walk in the park either what with Keith's famous Nimistor pirates on the prowl, plus increasing Wolf Pirate activities after 1602 might have the effect of driving some trade _back_ inland.

So, all in all, Western Maniria from 1580 to 1620 would be a pretty happening place to adventure by land or sea.

Um, that is still the idea, right? To have fun adventuring? :)

Gary R Switzer
Aero Hobbies