Newcoast trade

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 23:04:01 +1300

Gary R Switzer:

>With the Opening, the Trader Princes lose their monopoly and have to
>accept a smaller slice of the pie, but it's a much bigger pie. Certainly
>cargoes from Nolos, Pasos and the Castle Coast are now going to move by
>sea, but that's new trade, and is as likely to go north to Fronela as
>it is east to the Holy Country.

This paragraph assumes that trade consists mostly of goods sold from the west. However Esrolia is shipping grain to the West on huge cogs. The cogs will have ample room to carry any goods that would have normally carried by the Trader Princes _and_ have space to spare on their outward voyage.

>Given the choice between an established and reasonably secure
>overland route (Galin-Noshain River headwaters-Bastis-Trader
>Princes-Nochet)

To travel from Galin to the headwaters of the Noshain, one has to travel through the slightly odd people of Estali or Helby and then straight through the lands of the outright heathen Deer people. Although established, I must quibble about whether such a route can said to be reasonably secure.