Instanbul (not Constantinople)

From: MOB <mrmob_at_ozemail.com.au>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1999 12:20:47 +1100

G'day all,

Istanbul (not Constantinople)

Peter:
>Actually means "To the City" and supposedly derived from all the
>road signs.

Yes, thanks for the road sign explanation: I always wondered how the name came about, and I guess it's a pretty obvious (and prosaic!) origin.

>To bring the point back to prosiac names, the Ottoman
>government never used it in official correspondance and instead
>used "House of Happiness". Victorians felt this was awfully dreary
>and freely translated as "Abode of Bliss".

They also called the Ottoman Sultan the "Grand Signeur of Sublime Porte", a name that the Ottomans themselves apparently found rather mystifying.

Barbarian Town, drawing maps

Gary:
>Oh, MOB, I have a story that shows what source your round-shouldered Lunar
sage might be working from. :)

>>From the unpublished memoirs of Marberus of Jillaro, late of the Furthest
Corps...

This is cool, but no doubt it's going to again provoke debate about whether anyone in Glorantha actually has printing technology or not...

Hey Gary, I liked your explanation of the origins of Rabbit hat Farm so much I'd like to put in on my Home Page! Is this okay?

Cheers,

MOB