Trader Princes and the HBC

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_cgi.ca>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 09:23:08 -0500

> Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 19:19:36 -0000
> From: "Nick Brooke" <Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com>
> Subject: Trade Wars of Maniria
>
> Gary writes:

> > ideas as to why the Opening would not entirely destroy the Trader
> > Princes' business.
>
> I'm a fan! Like I say, let's keep 'em around: it's more fun that way.

A few other reasons exist. From my admittedly limited knowlege, the Trader Princes resemble the 'silk road' of ancient (and not so ancient) Aisa. With the Opening of the seas, travel along the coasts is now possible. But, most boats have rather short legs, poking along the coast. If the Trader Princes control most of the ports and harbors along that very long reach of coast, they would continue to flourish, I think. There's much more wealth suddenly 'floating' around.

Also, with the Opening, these ports would act as trade nexi themselves and the model for the Trader Princes would move from the 'Road' aspect to something more like the old Hudson Bay Company and its vast network of fur trading (here, we'd be looking at other items, perhaps... what does that area produce in abundance... but furs would be something very useful.

> > All in all, Western Maniria from 1580 to 1620 would be a pretty
> > happening place to adventure by land or sea.
>
> Or indeed to "try not to adventure" - just trying to make an honest living
> as a trader can get all too exciting.

Particularly if there's a sudden market for Manirian furs and the like in, say, Teshnos. Trading becomes much more aggressive when markets open. New goods. New competitors.

> I think if anything it gets *worse* after 1620, but that's just my guess.
>
> > Um, that is still the idea, right? To have fun adventuring? :)
>
> When we're not indulging in revisionist etymology, I suppose so. If we must.
> :-)

I should post the evolution of the Berga's Ford from Steven Brust's 'Phoenix Guards' Very typical evoloution of a name. Kinda. Sorta.

> :::: Email: <mailto:Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com>
> Nick
> :::: Website: <http://www.btinternet.com/~Nick_Brooke/>

Thanks for putting up with my first posting here.

Jeff Kyer