Re: The Glorantha Digest V7 #239

From: aelarsen_at_facstaff.wisc.edu
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 10:18:58 -0600

>From: Andrew Barton <AndrewBarton_at_compuserve.com>
>Subject: Pharoah/Faro
>
>> I had the oddest thought that Belintar might have chosen his title
>>from the name of the card game he won all his money at. =)
>
>A very nice idea, but only works if cards exist in your Glorantha.
>IMG they don't because the paper/card making tech doesn't exist.
>Historically, playing cards were a Renaissance invention.

        Okay, but then, 'Pharaoh' only works as a title if it's actually a title. It isn't. 'Pharaoh' is Hebrew for 'The Big House'. It seems to be the Hebrew translation of the euphemism that Egyptians employed to refer to their ruler, who, as a god, was someone who would notice you if you used his name to freely (much like calling Hades 'The Rich God' or Fairies 'The little people').
The closest parallel is to the modern use of the 'The White House' to refer to the President of the US.

Andrew Larsen