Nova Sogsket

From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 15:04:22 EST

In a message dated 12/20/99 5:26:43PM, you write:

<< oerg Baumgartner:

>For hobby linguistics, the last syllable reminds me of Seshnegi
>(originally Pendali) -ket, meaning city (as in Orphalsket, the city of
>the Grey Age Basmoli king Orphal). We know of a Malkioni presence in
>Nochet. Could the name have been something like Nova Sogsket, or even
>longer?

 If -ket is a Pendali word then it can't be used as a Malkioni  word for any settlements that predate the Seshnegi assimilation  of the Pendali (or at least their territory), a post-dawn  occurence at any rate. The walls of Nochet are known to  exist in the time of Vogarth the Big Man who lived two  hundred years before the Dawn (cf Morden Defends the Camp).  At the start of the Darkness, the place was known to be  the site of Alkana, where Esrola's favourite temple was,  which suggests Orlanthi origins rather than Malkioni. >>

I would guess that someone asked "Is this town called Nova Sogsket?". TO which the reply was " No, not yet,..., it hasn't been assimilated by the Seshnegi."

Keith N