GLs, honest trading and ???

From: simon_hibbs_at_lycosmail.com
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 12:44:59 -0500 (EST)

David Dunham:

> (Of course, the example of Glorantha
> shows that the separation isn't as rigid as the rules, though I do
> remember that one of the crimes of the God Learners was supposedly
> that they broke the RQ3 rules and use all three sorts of magic.)

I think that's missleading. I don't think that individual God Learners used all three (or even four!) types of magic, but there were practicioners of each type of magic who were God Learners. Thus there were God Learner sorcerers, God Learner theists, etc but no God Learner sorcerer/shaman/priest/dark elf/fighter/assasin/thieves. There is a game already for characters like that.

I think the God Learners developed an over-arching metaphilosophy within which they placed earlier magical traditions. I think this metaphilosophy had great benefits, particularly for heroquesters, but I think it made clear to them the seperations between the magical traditions and the reasons for those differences. Bypassing those differences is apparently an illuminated power and I don't think the God Learners were able to do that.

Bob Stancliff :

> If RW merchants devoutly worshipped a god of Communication and Harmony,
>don't you think there would be a lot less graft and corruption in
>business?

Harmony isn't the same thing as Truth. Caveat Emptor, a deal is a deal.

Simon Hibbs

P.S. I couldn't read this article without thinking about the EWF Remakers :

http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2562690078-def

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #243