God Learners

From: simon_hibbs_at_lycosmail.com
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 12:43:21 -0500 (EST)

Peter Metcalfe :

>There are several _mixed_ traditions according to the God
>Learner scheme of which the two most significant are the
>Kralori and the Orlanthi. While the Kralori (Mysticism/Animism)
>could be considered to be enlightened and thus support your
>proposal that bypassing the differences is an illuminated
>power, I do not think the same could be said about the
>Orlanthi (Theism/Animism).

I do not mean initiates learning some spirit magic, what I'm talking about is full blown priests, with reusable divine magic (if you're using RQ), also becoming a full blown Magus with all the sorcery skills, or shamans also gaining full blown theistic powers such as full access to re-usable common divine magic, divine intervention, etc.

These lines aren't as clearly drawn in RQ as I believe they are in Glorantha. I think Gloranthans in the know can quite clearly see a fundamental difference when an umath shaman invokes a magical power and when an Orlanth priest invokes a magical power, even when in RQ terms they are using the same rune spell. I think the rituals they use to obtain that magic are probably very different in character.

The clearest case of RQ muddying the waters is in the rules for hsunchen. In RQ the transformation spells are rune spells. I think that's a good choice in terms of game mechanics, but I don't think that this means their shape shifting magic is in any way theistic.

Simon Hibbs

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #245