Re: Mixed traditions

From: simon_hibbs_at_lycosmail.com
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 1999 06:23:32 -0500 (EST)

Peter Metcalfe :

>But I'm not talking about RQ, I'm talking about Gloranthan
>magic systems and the Orlanthi Priests do embody a mixed
>tradition - they are not pure theists. Thus to say that
>to draw upon more than one of the four magic traditions is
>an illuminated power is wrong.

The Orlanthi tradition is not a purely theist tradition, but an Orlanthi priest is a theist priest and invokes magic in a theist fashion. Surely he has no shamanic powers as a result of his status as a priest of Orlanth, and connot become a shaman?

Kaiu Keiichi :

>How about Theism/Materialism? The Aeolian sorcerers of Heortland make use
>of what most of us would term RQ3 sorcery, as well as (from what I
>understand) Orlanth Pantheon Rune Magic (oh, how I hate the AH term 'Divine
>Magic'!)

The writeup of Aeolianism that I have seen seperates out Theist and Sorecrous elements of the religion. Aeolian priests cannot also become Sorecerers, and vice versa.

Simon Hibbs