Aeolian worship

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 1999 14:29:50 +1300

Chris Bell:

>How about Theism/Materialism? The Aeolian sorcerers of Heortland make use
>of what most of us would term RQ3 sorcery, as well as (from what I
>understand) Orlanth Pantheon Rune Magic (oh, how I hate the AH term 'Divine
>Magic'!)

They do combine the Orlanthi pantheon with Malkioni mysteries but they don't use rune magic. Greg's of the opinion that the two (malkioni and divine magic) are fundamentally incompatible.

But since the Stygians do exist, how do we treat those? Greg's latest thinking or perhaps his intent all along but hitherto mistated seems to be that the Stygians, Aeolians etc. are tantric worshippers of the Invisible God, i.e. they use deliberately wrong methods to understand God. Which makes kinda sense since it explains why the other Malkioni are so down on the Safelstrans etc. How this operates in practice or roolz, I still have no idea.

>I imagine the Aeolians being especially targeted during the Lunar
>invasion of Heortland/Esrolia.

The Aeolians worship Aeolus and not Orlanth. There is hence no reason for the Lunars to target them but I suspect many often treat them like Orlanthi out of ignorance.

>Would Dragon Pass Orlanthi think of them as Meldeks,
>somewhat-meldeks, or just people with weird magic?

The Sartarites would hate the Aeolians IMO as they were the servants of the Pharaoh. Other Orlanthi would think of them as odd-people since they aren't quite sorcerous users.