Know your sources!

From: Osentalka_at_aol.com
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 1999 11:58:27 EST

Hello Friends

Happy sacred time to everybody!

May the blessings of Orlanth and Ernalda bring all of you a good and happy new year! (If there are any Lunar worshippers around? Okay, happy sacred time to you also...)

Tadaaki Kakegawa asks:
> What accurately do these words mean?

I will not answer all of these, because there were a lot of good explanations made on the last few digest by fellow Gloranthan. But i have to comment on one thing:
 > -- weregild

Wer (as in Werwolf) is old-german for man, and gild should read geld, which is in german money.
So it is Men-money. The money you have to pay to the familiy of a man that you have killed according to orlanthi law.

aevans5_at_csc.com askes:
>found mention of a certain "Maidstone Mountains". Does anybody know where on
>the lozenge this is? I can't seem to find it on any maps I have, and it
>certainly is not on the colour map supploed with the Elder Secrets box set.
Any
>information on this area would be gratefully received.

It is in the Genertela Book of the Glorantha boxed Set.

The Maidstone Mts are between Loskalm and Valinds Glacier.

>Donandar is Orlanth's Bard, which would
>imply some degree of trust, wouldn't it?
>
>Truly? I thought Dorgasi was..or at least Dorgasi is the Orlanth god of
>music. Perhaps Dorgasi is the deity of performers and battle pipers, while

Donandar is the God of all entertaining, including, but not only singing and dancing. Trapeze, Juggling, Trick Riding, Animal Training etc. are included also.

Skovari, one of his half-brothers, is the Orlanthi God of folk music and dance (Shrines in each Ernalda Temples).

Drogarsi, another half-brother, is the Orlanthi God of war dancing and martial music (shrines in Orlanth Temples).

All information is from the Donandar Article in the White Wolf magazin (hopefully reprinted in one of the upcoming Gloranthan Classics books by Moon Design Publishing).

>One last thing about Bards...Supposedly, the greatest bard, poet and
>balladeer of Orlanthi culture was old Windy himself. Specifically, Orlanth
>Adventurous (I'm not saying Warrior till it comes out in Hero Wars, call me
>a throwback. I like the way Adventurous sounds) I'd think that a Skald may
>be an Adventurous (or Orlanth the Poet?) Devotee/Initiate who would stand at
>the side of an Orlanth Rex Chieftain.

>I agree, I think that Drogarsi is another name for Orlanth the Poet (like
Vingkot is
>another name for Orlanth Victorious, Issaries is another name for Orlanth
>Goldentongue...etc etc etc)

Orlanth Adventurous may have Poetic talents also, but i donīt think that Drogarsi IS Orlanth Adventurous.

I also donīt think that Vingkot IS Orlanth Victorious. Vingkot was a mere mortal son of Orlanth. May be he has embodied Orlanth Victorious so perfect that his name became synonymus with Orlanth Victorious, but i donīt think that they are really the same "person". (The Godlearners would tend to agree to your statements, but i donīt.)

Worship of Great Orlanth includes also an Goldentongue aspect, but i am not willing to agree to your conclusion that Issaries is Orlanth Goldentongue. Issaries is not Orlanth. Issaries is Issaries. Orlanth has some talents in the same skills as Issaries, but Issaries is better (in theses skills only).

I want to conclude my mailing with a question.

Will be there a Gloranthan Con besides Convulsion and TENTACLES-Millenium (in the US or Down Under) in 2000?

Cheers

Andre

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #251