Stygian Roolz

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 1999 13:13:32 EST

Peter:

<< They do combine the Orlanthi pantheon with Malkioni mysteries but they don't use rune magic. Greg's of the opinion that the two (malkioni and divine magic) are fundamentally incompatible.

 But since the Stygians do exist, how do we treat those? Greg's latest thinking or perhaps his intent all along but hitherto mistated seems to be that the Stygians, Aeolians etc. [snip] use deliberately wrong methods to understand God. [snip] How this operates in practice or roolz, I still have no idea. >>

      I don't think they'll be specifically mentioned in the HW rulebook
(doubtless they will be in later supplements, though) so this could be
subject to change, but last time I asked, him, Greg's thinking was that they use the normal rules for Theist magic, but have a penalty to their chances of success and/or efficacy. They are, after all, 'doing it wrong'.

      Mind you, what this implies at a Glorantha level is less clear; after all, its well known that Orlanthi magic is a fusion of theist and animist
(albeit with a preponderance of the former) yet in roolz terms, they use
theist magic just like the Dara Happans.

Forward the glorious Red Army!

     Trotsky