Re: The Glorantha Digest V7 #249

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 1999 22:49:08 +0000

Peter Metcalfe gives an amusing account of the Mad Sultanate:

> What happened to the Mad Sultan is better known. It
> marched into barbarian-held Kostaddi (barbarian meaning
> horse nomad rather than Orlanthi) and was turned south
> by Sheng Seleris after having caused major havoc and
> destruction that "was far greater than all the victories
> of the Empire against Sheng Seleris" according to the
> Lunar Wane Chronicle. However elsewhere the same document
> says that Sheng Seleris "turned the invading horde from
> his lands with minimal losses". Who do we believe?

I'm inclined to believe both sources.

"Havoc and destruction" against the subjects of the horse warlords may have exceeded anything the Lunar Empire performed against other subjects of Sheng. "Minimal losses" would have been to Sheng's mounted armies, which could withdraw and leave the populace to the hungry hordes from Tork. By shepherding the natives off and an application of burnt earth tactics Sheng could have turned the Torkite hunger off without suffering much losses among his troops.

The loss of native farmers and cities wouldn't mean much in terms of logistics to them, would it? The lieutenants which were awarded those slaves could easily be awarded newer conquests.