Weaponthanes & Housecarls

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 06:49:08 EST

Philip Hibbs:

<< As these aren't terms that are important to game mechanics, there is no
need
 to have rigorously defined meanings for them.>>

      I disagree; I think they could well have a game mechanic effect (unless they are synonyms, of course). If a housecarl really is a high-status warrior, while a weaponthane is a lower status warrior who nonetheless is more of a 'professional' fighter than a typical farmer is, then the former should have abilities to reflect that. For instance, the housecarl might have greater loyalty to the chief personally, he would have a greater voice in clan affairs, etc. In RQ, these sort of things are not game mechanic relevant, but in HW they could be.

<< I'm quite happy to believe that different clans/tribes will have different
precise definitions of the various terms. >>

      That's possible, I suppose, but it seems the sort of basic fact of Orlanthi society that should be fairly universal. The precise privileges that the higher status ones would have would quite likely vary, but not which is which, IMO. Unless, of course, the terms really do mean the same thing. I'm not desperately bothered which the correct answer is but since there's no clear opinion, I still think it should go in the FAQ, even if the answer is 'there's no difference' or 'in some clans housecarls are higher status than weaponthanes, in others they're lower, and in others there's no difference'.

Forward the glorious Red Army!

     Trotsky