Ralios questions

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 16:07:15 +1300

David Fiorito:

>1. I get no real sense of relations between the Orlanthi in the Hills and
>the civilized folks in the City States. Does anyone have some insight into
>this?

There are two types of Orlanthi in Ralios.

The Orlanthi of the East Wilds are related to the Safelstrans as they were originally the same people. But during the Gods War, the two split up and have never been reconciled. They hate lowlanders and are somewhat friendly with most Hsunchen save for the Telmori.

The Orlanthi of Lankst are more recent immigrants (during the Dawn Age) and are related to the Orlanthi of Aggar and Talastar. They hate lowlanders, the Dragonewts of Ormsland and the Telmori. Previously they were checked by the Galvosti who had a liberal principle of Tapping but now many fight for the Archbishop of Otkorion.

>2. There does not seem to be a real "enemy" in the region like the Lunars
>for Prax/Dragon Pass or the Kingdom of War for the Janube river cities.
>Does Ralios have anyone that fits that niche?

That's because the enemies are legion. The prime villians are usually an alliance of the following.

The Borists: These people are chaotics of the worst sort as they think they are ordinary malkioni. They believe that one must be shriven of all chaos to reach Solace and use the shriven chaos to make blaspehmeous servitors on the fallacious pretext of the superiority of law over chaos. However they have no qualms about using chaos against us on the grounds that _we_ are tainted with chaos and so are worthy of destruction. Numerous crusades have been declared against the Borists after they have been thought destroyed, their heresy springs yet again. The Borists are currently plotting some unknown mischief and think themselves to be so strong that a few have even revealed themselves which has never been done before.

The Tanisorians: under the Banner of the Rokari Church, the grim humourless Tanisoran zealots (although they prefer to be known as Seshnegi for some odd reason) believe they have a god-given right to conquer all Safelster and cleanse it of Arkat's mysteries with rivers of blood. Their instrument of conquest are sorcerous armies that honour no conventions of chivalry or mercy. Currently the Dangrim League that has traditionally opposed them is leaderless and in turmoil and many fear that they will soon overrun all Safelster.

Gbajites: To defeat Gbaji, Arkat underwent certain transformations that were painful but ultimately necessary. To forstall his demise, Gbaji perverted Arkat's secrets to become a chaos monster, a troll or even a barbarian depending on who you listen to. Although Gbaji was defeated, his perversions live on in the hearts and minds of many, especially our neighbouring cities (hiss!). The worst Gbajite is commonly acknowledged (even by his own people) to be Argin Terror, the Nightmare Sorcerer.

The Trolls: Although the Trolls assisted us against Gbaji, they somehow believe that Arkat was one of them. Many people have also fallen for this delusion and plot to place us in eternal servitude to the trolls.

Secondary villians usually include: the Barbarians, the Lunars, the Telmori and Traitors within one's own city.

>3. Do the Orlanthi of Ralios have any contact with Orlanthi outside their
>region?

Not regular contacts, no. The Lanksti and the Delelans rarely have regular contacts with each other. The most common contact is the trade between Lankst and Jonatela but that is hardly friendly as they are bickering over the control of the High Llama Pass. The next would be through Dorastor but that's dominated by Lunars and unless one is prepared to hold one's nose to sign up as a caravan guard, there's little contact between Orlanthi that way. Probably the other is through Pralorela to Handra, but the Orlanthi here are boarish Wenelian types, not the elegant Tarshites or the doughty Sartarites.

>4. Is there any Malkioni influence in the East Wilds Orlanthi culture?

Not much. Malkionism is associated with Stygianism and the Orlanthi of the East Wilds were shafted by Arkat during the Chaos Wars. They are marginally less distrusting of ordinary Malkioni (ie Rokari) as they associate them with the God Learners who treated the East Wilderness tribes like shit in their time.

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #258