Re: Stygians

From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 18:44:49 EST

<< Anyone like this, or is everyone just looking at me funny?

    Cheers

        David

My own take on the Stygians is that they want to reach the Invisible God *through* the 'Masks of God' , to use a Joseph Cambellism, while a more rigourous Malkioni views these Masks as distractions or perversions of the Invisible God. I may be wrong but I think this is a bit like Hinduism, where there are hundreds of gods, but these are really only three gods which are, in turn just aspects of one single thing.

This bit from the Upanishads seems a good description of the Invisible God:

'It is other, indeed, than the known
And, moreover, above the unknown

His form is not to be beheld,
No one ever sees him with the eyes."