Re: KoDP

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 18:25:29 -0800

Laurent Labrot asked

> Does anybody know a website with tips for KDP computer game? Nice, but hard
> sometime...

Other than our FAQ, no. (We're still looking for someone to be the official fan site, and can provide various information to whoever wants to start one.)

Roger McCarthy wrote about clan-splitting

> Quite apart from lessening realism by forcing you into actions a real
> Orlanthi clan wouldn't take for purely game reasons ('Go exploring up north
> with just one weaponthane and three footmen as escort when the last twelve
> expeditions never returned - not on your nellie mate') this also contradicts
> the canonical KoS Report on the Orlanthi which IIRC states that Orlanthi
> clans typically range from 500-2000 pop and implies that 1200 is the norm
> rather than the exception

Said report is over 200 years later, once the land had filled up and they'd lived under Sartar's kingdom.

> In addition the new clan that splits off is usually so small that if it were
> a player clan it would be shut down as unviable within a couple of seasons!

If it were bigger, it would *really* hurt you to lose them.

> my
> current clan has had Rangarda and her bloody horse saga and the squabbling
> merchants repeat themselves two or three times each in under 60 years. If
> there's any future updates (and I certainly hope the game will be successful
> enough to make them profitable)new random events would be a high priority -
> maybe the Digest could supply suggestions.

It's always possible there's a bug, but the horse theft won't repeat. I'd guess you had two different games (or restarted from a save position and had it happen each time). We've at least tried to keep repeatable events from happening within too few years of each other.

Updates definitely need more sales -- luckily, today was our best day yet for web orders, so maybe the reviews and newsgroup comments are starting to help. (And feel free to ask your local Electronics Boutique to carry the game -- we're still trying to get into software retail stores.)

> my tribal king had somehow disappeared -
> the tribe screen just started saying (IIRC) 'your tribe currently has no
> king' - even though the clan saga states that we definitely elected one 15
> years ago and he's not died or stood down since - thus killing off any
> chances of my progressing further towards winning with this clan.

That's really weird -- were you using the 1.1 update? There were a few rare circumstances that could result in an unwinnable game, but that's not one we're aware of.

David Dunham     A Sharp     david_at_a-sharp.com
Voice/Fax: 206 783 7404     http://a-sharp.com
Efficiency is intelligent laziness.