Re: Stygian magic

From: Nils Weinander <nils_w_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2000 13:10:11 +0100

I add my voice in support of David's theory.

Another thing that has struck me is that maybe the "pure" magic approaches provide more powerful magic, but it also seems as if it is less generally available.

For example, take the Dara Happans as pure theists. I assume that they can do impressive magics, but this requires huge and elaborate rituals and highly specialized priests. I doubt that a Dara Happan has much in the way of personal magic.

Contrast the Orlanthi, with a mix of animism in their theist magic, where everyone can work magic to a degree. It is more efficient with ritual and cooperation, but you _can_ do it on your own.

Take the western Malkioni as pure sorcery users. There only highly specialized wizards work magic. I'm sure the mixed tradition Stygians have more people who can do magic feats, even if they may not be as powerful as a full sorcery adept.

With pure shamanism, I suspect that most magic/spirit manipulation is done by specialized shamans, while the mixed tradition Praxians have a fair amount of personal magic in everybody's hands.

Finally, pure mystics are your classic world-denying monks, spending life in isolated meditation. Only a few people in a society take this path. They are powerful though (as a side effect), and their powers of refutation protect everybody since hostile magic, typhoons etc. take a path around the mystic. In a mixed mystic tradition, common people can have some (lesser) powers.

Nils Weinander

Do You Yahoo!?
Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger. http://messenger.yahoo.com