Re: The Glorantha Digest V7 #264

From: Bob Stancliff <stanclif_at_ufl.edu>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2000 10:06:59 -0500

> Andrew Larson:
> <<Thank you for the sentiment, but at the risk of being pedantic
[snip]>>

> Trotsky
> Yup, you're pedantic. Correct, but pedantic.

        Being a contrarian by nature as well as choice I present the view that the Calendar -SHOULD- be zero referenced in a manner similar to birthdays and anniversaries. Therefor the second millenium ended a few days ago. In no way will I accept the argument that we cannot do that since it would make the first millenium a year short. Let it be a year short and damn the consequences!

        It is not our fault, nor will I accept this intentional ignorance of the flaws deriving from the lack of a zero in the number systems of the people who set the calendar up initially. If they had known the inherent error of their mistake I am certain that they would not have permitted this blunder.

        For this reason I also choose to wish each of you a wonderful new year, decade, and century... I doubt that we here today will be able to enjoy the bulk of the millenium.

        The issue is made even more silly by the current historical evidence showing that Herod the Great died in 3BC and since Jesus was born during his reign, the current year is really 2003 or possibly 2004. Suffice to say that this is the year in which the vast majority of people have chosen to celebrate the new millenium, and that their choice is as correct as any other. I choose to join them.
Stancliff

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #267