Re: Behaving like your god

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 23:32:59 GMT

Bob Stancliff continues to try and sell a Truthful (and only slightly used, really!) Issaries.

> > The doctrine is 'whatever sounds good', or, 'whatever we can sell...
> As I read the stories, Issaries was honorable, so an Issaries merchant
> who uses crooked tactics risks the cult 'spirit of retribution', Raw
> Greed. He will not remain a merchant for long after that.

Raw Greed's particular bugbear is theft: you're doubly stretching the point to characterising it as covering being 'economical with the truth', via the intermediate step of your own insertion of 'crookedness'. Obviously you're right when you say that by emulating Issaries you benefit your Issaries magic, but pretty much axiomatically, what the merchant aspect of Issaries _does_ act like is pretty much the stereotypical merchant.

[GLers]
> > they created the three-fold (or four-fold) distinction between
> > categories of magic, method of worship, cosmology, etc, that
> > lob up in the game-rules as the different magic systems.
> Please cite your passage for this... I need to be reminded.

Genertela, Book 1, p24 would be the most direct reference I can lay my hands on.

Cheers,
Alex.