Gian's elucubrations

From: MOB <mrmob_at_ozemail.com.au>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 21:07:52 +1100

G'day all,

Gian's elucubrations

>Dear Mike, may I call you so, I have a special question for you, writer of
>Sun County, one that could help many, so I mail you on this site...

>...I assumed the following:

>Lokarnos are Yelmic, so they have a High Priest: if YK persuade the High
>Priest, he has done it: the whole Lokarnos cult will be with him.

Fair enough. But the head of the Lokarnos cult would probably answer to the Light Guide Coatilon, who directs the internal affairs of Sun County. Ultimately, *he'd* need to be convinced.

>They manage cart trade...

Correct - and they use wheel ruts with different widths which helps keep their lock on local business.

>... and so do not venture on river or outside the Valley.

They definitely go back and forth to Pavis. They also run the salt trade out of Pent Ridge which is some days' travel into Vulture's Country (see "Pentridge in Tentacles I or
<http://www.ozemail.com.au/~mrmob/pentridge.html>). I imagine they also engage in whatever trade is necessary with the nomads, though they need not venture far onto the plaines to do that. They also probably have something to do with the semi-annual expeditions to get wood from the redwood forests around Leaping Place Lake (see "The Men with the Golden Gun" in Tentacles II or <http://www.ozemail.com.au/~mrmob/goldengun.htm>

The Lokarnos cult also mint Sun County's money, smith its gold and would run the gold mines too, if they had any.

>[Etyries] They manage river trade (in contrast/collaboration with
ZolaFeli) and they
>control the best, northern caravan routes of Prax.

I think that the Eytries cult would have the official monopoly on river trade, down and back from Corflu. They do this in collaboration with the Zola Fel cult, who use this opportunity to rob 'em blind. The ZFs also engage in rampant smuggling - often at the same time - which the Lunars can never quite seem to pin down.

I doubt the Etyries cult run the best northern caravan routes out of Prax, as these go to places they have little influence or control (Dagori Inkarth, Adari): this seems more like what intrepid Issaries would get up to. Etyries would control trade on the main Pavis road back to Dragon Pass though.

>[Issaries] They control the minor
>caravan routes, the trade between the less-lunarized oasis and the trade
>with the Orlanthi-friendly nomads. They are almost totally excluded by river
>traffic.

I agree.

>What do you think about my elucubrations?

I think the midnight oil was well-spent.

Cheers,

MOB