Corflu

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 12:32:41 -0000

Gian asks:

> Who commanded the units which took Corflu? Who commanded the navy which
> occupied Karse?

An unofficial part-answer is on my website: see Murad Iznik, "The Red Admiral", at:

        http://www.btinternet.com/~Nick_Brooke/Moonie/Moonson/murad.htm

> Why do the Lunars use sea forces when they could employ flying Moon
> Boats to surprise the defenders?

Moon Boats are *extremely* vulnerable to the effects of Storm. Think what controlled, directed winds, thunderbolts and lightning-strikes could do to something so fragile. The Orlanthi defenders of Karse would be picking them off like sitting ducks. And besides, Moon Boats are *expensive*, too.

> How many praxian Sable Riders fight as auxiliaries under the Lunar
> Commanders?

Plenty. And plenty more fight as allies. It's a good time to be a Sable Rider, if you can put up with all the envy from lesser tribes...

("What has six legs, two heads, and an arsehole on the middle of its back?")

There's an Antelope Lancer Captain (Hungry Plateau Sable Tribe) on my website, too: Sitzmag Redmoon, at:

        http://www.btinternet.com/~Nick_Brooke/Moonie/Moonson/sitzmag.htm

> The Byzantine Empire had many peculiarities I read as incompatible with
> the Red Goddess' One...

Agreed. It is, however, extremely useful as a cultural template for a more "Eastern" and more "religious" version of the Roman Empire.

> it had a strong bureaucracy which often suffocated and overtook Imperial
> Authority;

I find it hard to believe you are arguing that the Lunars do *not* have a "byzantine" bureaucracy. (NB: in English, the adjective byzantine means confusing, introverted, unnecessarily complex, dysfunctionally baroque and secretive...)

:::: Email: <mailto:Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com> Nick