Re: RW analogues

From: Kmnellist_at_AOL.COM
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 17:29:17 EST

In a message dated 1/11/00 6:37:56PM, you write: Gian write:
<< I'm sorry, but I can't bear this nonsense: Nolos could be Marseille,
instead
 of Venice, but in that case Pasos "is" Amsterdam or Venice. Why inventing a  fantasy island kingdom?>>

I do not think it is necessary to have a RW analog for every single place in Glorantha. One could easily say 'Why inventing a RW island kingdom'.

<< Also I think that, historically referring to the RW, given this be a
correct
 exercise for Glorantha-scholars, we should not forget the cultural,  political, economical and religious role of the Lowlands in Europe late  middle ages or of the Helvetic Confederation: see Charles the Bold, Duchy of  Burgundy and his battles against Swiss elite Pikemen. >>

It is given that the RW can and should be used for ideas but not that Glorantha should be forced into a particular RW historical scenario. So we can forget, if we want to, the economic and cultural role of the Lowlands of Europe in late middle ages. (''damn"" says the GM ''I forgot the economic and cutural role of the Lowlands of Europe in the late middle ages, we'll have to cancel the game''). However we can plunder that period for ideas, we can also plunder 'King Kull', 'Paradise Lost', 'the Wombles' , or 'the Complete Works of Shakespeare' , and todays newspaper for ideas, if we want to.

Keith N